Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Commitments


April = 30 days of yoga + 30 days of blogging


Aaaaagh! I did it. I made a commitment, to myself for two days in secret, and then in public. And now I'm like, Shit. I gotta blog. But I'm tired and my recently LASIKed eyes hurt and I'm so sleepy and I worked late and I gotta go to the DMV early tomorrow for my expired license.

You see? This is what it sounds like in my head and this is what it feels like - overwhelming / justifiably avoidable. "I'll do it tomorrow" is where I would usually leave this internal conversation.

I share to say, I guess this is what happens for me when I try to make routine of those things that I like and are good for me.

And this, is the power of writing and sharing for me. Having committed to writing publicly daily, it dissolves (or forces/challenges me to let go of) the barriers that are about perfection and writing something "good enough" to share. And since I was avoiding today, I got to witness and accepting working through my own self-blockages.

So tip #1 for me in keeping commitments, is that if I'm really gonna do this, I'm gonna do it earlier tomorrow so that I get to pick the content and don't compromise sleep. There are so many other things I want to write through. I also trust that this is just right for tonight, right now.

Public commitment invokes for me community support and a much needed accountability. I already shared this next part on my fb status but that will soon disappear, so I want to list out specific ways I could really use support. Thank you :)

1) please send me topics you'd like me to write about, or things you're reflecting on
2) make yoga dates with me!
3) make writing dates with me on Sunday afternoons
4) make reading dates with me (i know, i struggle to read for leisure too! and reading nourishes writing)
5) ask me how it felt to do yoga today/anyday
6) share tips about keeping commitments!

thank you my darlings!


Finally, I do want to confess that I'm writing this blog post like homework in the start-up and wind down, but for a few minutes in the middle, I got really into it and wished I started sooner. I felt connected to you who are reading, or could read, and may find some resonance. I felt lighter from sharing my struggle with continuing powerful practices. I feel ...



Okay blah blah blah! It's 11:54 pm est. I gotta wrap it up, imperfect and mid-thought, and post now to keep my commitment for today. This is a surprisingly good challenge and learning for me. I love it when that happens! YAY! More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment